Wednesday, September 20, 2006


Another weekend and couldn't resist the call of the open roads and the beautiful country. Pack up all the camping gear and off to the coast. Just about 80 miles away. This is when I discovered OR 53. Real twisties with more twist that I could handle. 55 mph highway with 15-20-25 mph twisties for over 12 miles. Now, thats real fun. Reached my human limit real fast, the ST would've done a lot more. Settled in for Tillamook county campground after checking out no vacancy state parks. 20 dollars to put up a tent! But nice place beside the ocean. Sitting beside the ocean, watching the waves and the pacific, I wonder about all the living creatures in the water. All the animals in the world. Sometimes, I wish I were one of them. They seem quite contented and at peace in general. Their most important concern is probably food. We as humans are so worried about a million other trivialities of life, that we often forget to see the big picture. 'Life'! Is this life all about working 8-10 hrs a day, all through the year, a vacation once in a while, until death? hmm.. it seems that animals and birds are probably doing a better job at living than us. That reminds me.. arent we all just animals with a lot of extra brain cells. Now all this extra processing power.. it just doesn't want to accept that we would just live and die like the animals. So, hey here comes the idea of a soul, a rebirth, a heaven, a liberation.. what not. All based on hope. Maybe its true. maybe not. Who knows for sure. Dreams woven by humans for the benefit and peace of humans. Not that it aint good. Just a figment of someone's imagination? Ever wonder why so many folks when they get to their 50s turn to God, religion and all kinda spiritual stuff. They just realised that they are gonna die soon they want something to cling to. Something to hope for, something after their death. Imagine living life with no hope after death.. I'm sure that thought alone would drive most crazy and depressed. Fear and Desire/Hope. The real driving forces behind any human life. Anyway, as the hindi song goes..
Panchhi nadiyan pawan ke jhoken, Koi sarhad naa inhe roke.. Sarhaden insaano ke liye hain.Socho, tumne aur maine, Kya paaya insaan hoke.



Watching the sun set makes me feel sad. I dunno why, I always feel sad watching the sun go down. I get nostalgic. I think about Goa and the warm waters. The sea up here is pretty much very cold throughout the year. No fun. I hang around in the beach until it gets dark and thats about 10:00 pm. The summer sky is particularly clear and I bring out my sleeping pad and lie down outside the tent. Amazing night sky, the only other time I've seen so many stars was when I was at 14000 feet near Kanchenjunga, Himalayas. So many stars you possibly wouldnt believe existed. The whole sky was covered with sparkling tiny lights. Slept off watching the stars, some satellites and a few shooting stars. Got up later and crawled inside the tent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

some times sunsets are sad, but you have to think of the beauty and wonder that it creates

Anonymous said...

I, too, love OR 53. And I, too found it by accident.

Next time you're down that way, check out OR 34 (Alsea Highway) from Waldport to Philomath and US 20 back to the coast at Newport. It's a curly hundred miles or so with lots of elevation changes and reasonably good pavement (MUCH better than US 26). Go on a weekday and you may not see more than six cars the whole way.

Ride safe.