Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Memories of an India ride.

This is something I wrote about my first solo trip. I usually like riding solo more than a group ride. At my own pace doing whatever I feel like in whatever way I want. Now, aint that freedom? Riding in a group is fun,I do enjoy it.. but hmm. I guess I'm just not a very social being. Anyway, here you go..

















I think its the all the excitement, the anxiety and the preparation that
makes a trip a complete one. Got the bike serviced. Had done a small
220 kms ride to Muthathi on the banks of cauvery as a prelude to my
solo trip home. Cleaned up the bike the night before and checked,
double checked to make sure I havent left my soul and spirits behind.
Started off at 5:45 am and the first half an hour was spent trying to get
outta the city maze. And lo! before me was the wide open roads which would
give me company till Mangalore. 360 kms away.

Watched the speedo climb to 100 on the tempting roads even as I reminded
myself not to exceed 80 mark. Took a few snaps along the way and
Westward Ho! Zooom... Reached Hassan by 10:00 am. Had breakfast from a very
modest place where people were happy to touch and watch the Bullet.

Hit the Ghat section in no time. Wooo.. sexy roads. curves, curves with
forests all around. Tried imitating those Grand Prix guys whose knees graze
ground at the bends. Bullet didnt like the idea a lot and refused to
co-operate. I still had lotsa fun riding along on those
smooth curves (hmm.. I like the analogy with female anatomy here :)

It was the best of times, it was a wonderful climate and my bike was at
its best when disaster struck... Lost in my thoughts, failed to notice the
approching curve. Bullet, with its infamous breaks did a good job of
running outta the road. Et tu Bullet! Touchdown Earth in no time. Found my
face dragging along the road. It was as if time slowed down.. I still
remember the way thoughts slowly moved through my mind. I guess such
things happens in extreme tense situations. Being extremely thankful to my
helmet smiled at the villagers gathered around. Saw blood on the ground
and thanked God for not spilling my brains out.

Bike lost its headlight and a few minor scratches. I was fine except for
the oozing blood from my hand. Rode on till Mangalore. Repaired the bike.
Had lunch with fried fish, ogled at a few girls and sped on to Bekal fort
in Kerala. Reached at 17:30. Photo session. The setting sun, the fort
with its huge walls, the long white coastline, the wind and the sea were
a comfort to my soul.

Spend some time on a nearby beach and stayed at Nalanda resorts for the
night. A good resort by the river. Sat beside the river and Ordered
beer. mmm... More beer, more loneliness. heh. With beer in my blood and
a heavy heart, crashed onto the bed.

Morning found me beside some backwaters taking snaps. Sped on further down
to another beach. Never seen better beaches in kerala. Unspoilt. Spent an
hour playing in the water. Next destination was a
drive-in(the only one of its kind) beach in kerala. Took the bike for a
ride in the sea with water splashing on both sides. I expected it to enjoy
the sea. Apparently, it didn't. Coughed and came to a standstill. Pushed
the heavy guy for 2 kms on the sand under the 2 O'clock kerala sun.
Those who have been in kerala in summer would know how it feels like.
Passed the endurance test and got it outta the beach. Whew!

Sunday, the day God rests and so do the Mechanics. No workshops open.
Finally got one helpful soul from his mid-day slumber and the bike started
off by 6:00 pm. I think I will never forget the CB point covers again.
Another 7+ hours of ride back home. Throwing all cautions of night driving
in the night, I start for another endurance test.

I should say NH-17 is the worst NH I've rode on. Sick roads with the
notorious bus drivers of kerala and their powerful headlights can make your
night a memorable one. Got lost a few times. Sped on to Palakkad instead
of Cochin once. Dreamt a lot about buses and trucks and their lights when
I slept back home. heh

The empty roads, the dark starry sky and the surrounding emptiness
invites solitude to my heart. I start talking to my bike. Listen to his
heartbeat. I pet and pat him... The experience of being alone in the wild
is quite overwhelming. Feels like the king of the road with my
trusty companion until the next Kerala transport bus zooms past with its
headlights blinding me ;)

We enter NH-47 and both of us are happy little souls. Zooom.. speedo goes
to 80-90. Reach home by 2:00 am and wake up the surprised parents. 860 Kms
in all.

Weeee... that was quite a long write-up. I went to Munnar from home with my
dad as the pillion. Spending some alone with dad felt so nice.
Another 130 km(one way) ride. Good roads. Thick forests around. I think the
best time would be to go just after rains. Last time we had gone in the
rains and every few kilometers we found waterfalls onto the road and lotsa
fog too. My ride was a safe one with no troubles. Feels good to escape from
the Kerala heat and humidity onto the hills.

Returned back from home Saturday at around 13:00. Sped through NH-47.
Wandered into some Palakkad villages to see the pristine beauty of the
rural kerala. I kinda hated the stares from people wherever I went.
Probably its my gloves,jacket and the backpack... Rode over Malampuzha dam
in Palakkad and sped on to Coimbatore on wide, good roads. Stayed overnight
in Coimbatore. Started off early to Salem, another 165 Kms away. The
morning breeze, the rising sun and wonderful roads. I dont need any more..

Reached Salem by 10:00 with a few tea breaks in between. The stretch
between Salem and Dharmapuri is great, but after that I had a tough time
with back-breaking roads from Dharmapuri to Hosur. Felt great to see the
smooth roads from Hosur to Bangalore. Saw Bangalore by 15:00.

The total trip was a little more than 1800 kms. Thanks to Joy, Vipin and
Nandan for their suggestions and advices :) Bullet was a trusty fella all
along and never gave me problems other than the ones caused by my ignorance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awsome trip.. and great information for someone starting on this soon!!

- Shailesh

Goli said...

Hey.... you have to be brave to continue the journey after the accident.... it reminds me of my one and only one bike trip to coorg, and we had gone in a group of 10, and just as we were leaving bangalore one of us had a accident and broke the headlight, but then we decided to still go ahead and finish the trip.... great trip that was... :D
cheers and hope you do far more trips

Shad A. said...

one life to ride