Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Motorcycles. Now, these are fun machines but oh-so-dangerous-devices for the weak at heart. And touring on motorcycles.. some of the best spent days of my life. Why do people tour on two wheels when they can do that 'safely' on four wheels or more? I dunno.. I guess, safety and security easily leads to boredom and boredom kills you slowly and safely. As Richard Bach aptly says, "In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice." More on that later..

So last saturday morning finds me straddled on my ST1100 chasing the
rising sun on 26W from Portland to the Oregon coast. Riding a motorcycle is a form of meditation, I think. I am so focused on the road that not a lot of thoughts wander into the mind and there is a form of quiet which I enjoy. Just the wind and the steady hum of the ST which I've come to trust and love so much in just one ride. I guess I'm not the kinda guy who loves to fix things and maintain his bike. I would rather have a companion who is very trustworthy and reliable and lets me enjoy the ride. ST has been perfect so far in the last 1200 miles.

Astoria Bridge - 1,232 feet - supposedly the longest continuous truss in the world.
Look carefully and you will see that the bridge is actually very long. I take 101N and then 105N both hugging the pacific coast. I love the Pacific. The big beautiful blue in all its majesty and power. I stop for a buttbreak and this guy comes over in his pickup asking me if everything is alright. We make smalltalk and he goes off. Another happy easy going fella. Thats one interesting thing I've noticed. People actually come and try talking to a solo motorcyclist. I doubt they would do that if there were more than one biker.

That brings up another point. I miss riding in India.. Riding in India is a very rewarding experience. I become part of the environment. The curious, inquisitive people and the crowding kids who want to be photographed.. The small tea shacks and sipping the hot tea in those small steel glasses. The chat with the villagers who never seem to be in a hurry for anything. The freedom to pull over anywhere and pee anytime. The local fruit vendors alongside the road. And you dont need no stinkin GPS or maps.. Just ask any local who would be walking or cycling on the road.. and you would find lots of them anyway. Just make sure you ask more than one cuz they are never sure about anything more than 10 kilometer radius away. Those contented fellas in their tiny world.. :) Riding in a third world country is a great experience and if that is on a single cylinder 50 year old model British designed bike, all the more better. But gotta love the roads and the breathtaking scenery of the western United States. Nothing like it anywhere else. Anyway, I digress..



Relaxed riding all the way upto Seattle. Stayed overnight with a friend. Watched the city lights from Space Needle. 14 bucks to just go on top! But nice view. There were lots and lots of high school couples all dressed up real nice on top. Couldnt figure out what it was all about. A prom night maybe? The girls looked very pretty in those gowns and the guys were desperately trying to get laid that night, I think..











No comments: